Bubala, Mumi & Max

Monday, June 16, 2008

Bicycling Can Be Dangerous!

I was at work on Sunday night when I got the following text message from Mumi...

"Just got back from a bike ride. I had a little accident. I ran over a groundhog."

Groundhog Day

Um, what?!?

Being the ever caring husband that I am, I immediately texted him back and asked him if the groundhog was okay. The groundhog had fled the accident scene without waitng for the authorities to arrive though, so we can't be sure if he ultimately survived or not.

Mumi, on the other hand, didn't fare quite as well...

After rolling over the groundhog, Mumi jammed on the brakes, went over the handlebars and hit the asphalt. He must have caught his ankle on the pedal somehow because it was pretty torn up and bleeding. He had a few scrapes here and there too, but I think he's very lucky that he wasn't hurt even more. He's pretty sore, but he'll be better before he gets married! (We can do that in California now!)

In Other Dangerous Bicycling News...

I was out on the trail the other day pedaling along, and I saw Mumi traveling towards me from the opposite direction. Normally, when we see each other on the trail, we smile and wave and slap hands and that's about it. This time though, Mumi stopped me. He told me that he had just been attacked by a bird.

Um, what?!?

Yep, I had heard him correctly. He told me all about how a bird had just swooped down from a tree and pecked him on the helmet. Of course, being the skeptic that I am, I didn't believe him right away.

I found out that he was telling the truth a little further down the trail though when, as I was passing under a tree, I felt a little thud against the back of my bike helmet. I turned around and caught a glimpse of a Red-Winged Blackbird swooping down to attack me!

Attack Bird

Of course I thought that it was all very hilarious, so I just had to stop and rest on a nearby bench and watch a couple of strangers bike by and get attacked too. I only wish that I had taken my camera with me!

Bicycling can be very dangerous!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good stuff! You guys will have to travel with squirt guns to keep the animals off of you. Ha ha, maybe they got a whiff of pheromones or something!

10:02 PM  
Blogger TOS said...

Some obnoxious birds divebomb Eric & Shelly on their morning walks... they even wised up when he changed the route! Damn harassing birds! Hope Mumi is better, that flip sounded very painful, especially the pedal part.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home