Bubala, Mumi & Max

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

All In The Details

A little more about the movie on Sunday... a lot more about my mom...

Like Jimbo, I too completely expected to come out of the theatre angry, but I didn't. The movie was very well done with several real life stories about how the clash between Christianity and homosexuality affects real peoples' lives. For me, the movie was very uplifting. It made me realize again just how fortunate I am.

For you see, my mother is one of those Christian wingnuts. Though she is nowhere near as extreme as some of the nutjobs out there, she still has her faith, goes to her church and believes in her God. I guess that you could say that she is more of a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Christian though. She is not out there trying to convert anyone. Nor is she out there spewing hatred and/or intolerance.

Quite the opposite, actually.

She didn't cry when I told her that I was gay. She never tried to talk me out of it or make me change. She didn't think that it was only a phase I was going through and that eventually I would change and start liking tuna. In fact, other than worrying about my safety and worrying about me facing life of ridicule and intolerance, she never did or said anything at all negative about homosexuality.

I think I know that she is secretly thrilled to have a gay son. After I came out, one of the first things that she did was go to a local gay book store and buy some gay buttons to wear and rainbow bumper stickers for her car. Shortly after she put the bumper stickers on her car, someone keyed the word "fag" onto the door of her car. You'd think that would have upset her, right? Nope. Not at all. She left it there and said that since she was proud of the word, there was no need to cover it up as if she were ashamed of it.

She gets mad if I don't invite her to gay pride parades or to the State House to crusade for gay rights. When we do take her to those events, she is the first one to open her mouth and give anyone who opposes homosexuality or gay rights an earful. I remember one time in particular, she really let our Senator, James E. DeGrange, have it. We were at a meeting with the Senator asking him to vote against a statewide ban on same-sex marriages. The Senator started in with his banter about his beliefs, his Church, his blah, blah, blah.

Well, mom was going to have none of that. She interrupted him and started telling him about her beliefs. How she was a good Christian too, just like him. In fact, they even belonged to the same Church. She went on, however, to point out that she was intelligent enough and compassionate enough to be able to separate purely civil issues from religious ones. She suggested that a good Christian Senator should be smart enough to figure those things out too. Yo go mom!

She is really something. I am truly very lucky to have her as my mom.

I only wish that everyone else was as lucky as I am.

Oh yeah... Just a note to that toe-tapping, hottie at the urinal next to me after the movie. You know who you are. You're so lucky (or unlucky, I guess) that the bathroom was full. Otherwise, I certainly would have come around that partition and helped you to relieve yourself. You dirty, little monkey!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is exactly the kind of interaction between your mom and the senator that changes people's minds. We need more of that.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Dumbek said...

Wow - Your mom rocks.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home