Bubala, Mumi & Max

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sounds & Stories...

Naked Guitar Players Rock!
Some music that I have been listening to lately...

1. The Ark - State Of The Ark

Here is a review from Amazon.com:

The Ark is Sweden's answer to Scissor Sisters and the Darkness, specializing in bad puns, bad unitards, and great big glam rock hooks. But where the former draws inspiration from Elton John and the latter from Queen, this lot seems to have discovered its calling through Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger, matching stealthy disco rhythms with cheesy rock riffs and squiggly synthesizer lines. But then there's singer Ola Salo, a gender-bender in the mold of Marc Bolan with a serious mean streak that surfaces in not-as-superficial-as-you-might-expect tracks such as "This Piece of Poetry Is Meant To Do No Harm" and "Rock City Wankers," in which he prods, "You put a spike into your vein/Oh no! Does it make you think you've got the blood of Thunders in your brain?" Is it any wonder the band has struck a chord with John Cameron Mitchell, the creator of Hedwig, who has picked two of Salo's songs for inclusion in his next movie, Shortbus? --Aidin Vaziri

2. Junkie XL - Today

From the Junkie XL Website:

"An often gorgeous journey through Holkenborg's musical interests, Today is occasionally shot through with riff-rock immediacy, and more often recalls the melodic beauty of New Order, while sometimes throbbing and pulsing like a house record."

A book that I have been reading lately...

1. Augusten Burroughs - Magical Thinking: True Stories

I picked this book up in the bargain bin at Borders for $4.99. I don't read very many books. I am trying to change that, so I figured I'd start out cheaply by checking out the bargain books. This book by Augusten Burroughs is truly a bargain! A great book full of funny stories. Now, I can't wait to check out his other books as well.

Now, what about you? What are you listening to? What are you reading?

P.S. I don't know what that picture up there has to do with anything in this blog. I just liked it. I have always believed that music and nudity belong together. I'm hoping to catch Mumi in a similar pose shortly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home