Bubala, Mumi & Max

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

That's The Origin Of Love

It Is Clear To Me That I Must Find My Other HalfSome folks have asked about the origins of our pet names for each other. I am here now to tell that story...

My pet name, "Mumi," (phonetic spelling: Moo-Mee) goes back to the time when Jason and I first started dating. My nephew was just learning how to talk. (He's 12 now!) I would try to get him to say the word, ‘monkey.' His first attempt sounded more like "Mumpmi." (Moomp-Mee) Then, he started saying "Mumi" and that kind of stuck. Jason started calling me that, and since I'm a monkey, it fits.

His name, "Bubala" (Boo-Ba-La) goes back to around the same time, when we were first dating. I'm not sure who started calling the other one names first, but Bubala became my pet name for him. It also happened to be his sister's dog's name. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I have been told that Bubala is what a Jewish grandmother calls her grandchildren. Now, I'm not Jewish or a grandmother and Jason isn't Jewish or my grandchild, so that should pretty much clear up how and why I call him that and even more surprising, why he actually answers to it.

There is also a plush stuffed monkey who lives around here somewhere named "Mumala," (Moo-Ma-La) which is a combination of both our names. Now, that is another story all together.

2 Comments:

Blogger acoolerclimate said...

Just wanted to let you know that there is a great restaurant in Provincetown, MA called Bubala's.

8:17 PM  
Blogger TOS said...

Yes and it is a great place to sit and people watch! Love that place!

Now how did Max get his name? I am having dog-fever, I want a dog now! It's so warm and sunny and that is the best time to go walking with a beagle! How am I going to make it until June?!

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home