Bubala, Mumi & Max

Sunday, January 01, 2006

All Is Noisy On New Year's Day

So Long 2005...Okay, so here is a list of the music that I was/am listening to from 2005. I don’t like to rank or chart music because different times and experiences throughout life call for different music. So, nothing is really ever the best, only the best for right now. Then, it all gets shelved away as the next year’s music comes into rotation.

So, without further ado, here is the list at random:

Kate Bush - Aeriel - This is the first offering from Kate in 12 years. I have to wonder how do you support yourself without working for so long? The laziness aside, this was a great record from Kate, and it’s great to have her back in action. We missed you, Kate.

Adrian Belew - Side One/Side Two - This is actually two releases from one of the King Crimson guitarists while the band is in sleep mode. This dual release demonstrates Mr. Belew’s great song writting skill and his experimental ventures. Side Three and side Four coming in 2006.

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute - These guys are wild. It’s definitely an acquired taste, a mix of free form jazz/rock/latin/psychedelic. It’s amazing to me that in 2005, records like this are being made. They also released a live record called Scab Dates this past year which is pretty good as well.

Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor - Cool electro dance music. Great production. A lot of borrowed things and some of the worst lyrics EVER. If Mommy Dearest is gonna have her daughter write lyrics for her, then at least give the little girl some credit. Every time I hear “I love New York,” it makes me feel like a dork.

Sigur Ros - Takk - More rocky than their last fantastic album ( ). This is a nice sounding record from this band from the land of Bjork.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing - Okay, maybe I do have a few favorites. I’ve been following this band for about 10 years now. I’m convinced that Steven Wilson is pure genius.

Bob Mould - Body Of Song - This is probably the best Bob Mould solo album ever. Make sure that you get the deluxe edition or "side 3 and the remixes" as I like to call it. Bob rides a rocking horse through most of this CD with a touch of his electronic explorations on the left side and his folky/acoustic stuff on the right.

Craig Wedren - Lapland - This is the first solo album from the ex-Shudder To Think vocalist/guitarist. Even though the wait was long, it was worth it. Beautiful songs jammed with a lot of emotion from by far one of my favorite vocalists ever. Sometimes, I hear the guy, and I just want to cry it touches me so. And, he’s kinda sexy too. Why he didn’t become some sort of rock god in the 90’s is beyond me.

System Of A Down - Mezmerize/Hypnotize - Two releases from these guys. This is good boner music. I mean, I really think their drummer, John Dolmayan, is a hot fucker, and I like to watch and hear him beat off.

Tori Amos - The Beekeeper - Ahh Tori... This isn’t the best album from her, but it’s not the worst either. It has some good songs on it. I kind of miss the days when there were 12 songs on her albums, and you had to find the other 8 as b-sides. Now, her albums seem to play a little longer and aren’t quite as cohesive because there are so many different songs to try to tie them into a running theme. This aside, Tori is still brilliant, and it’s not her fault that she writes so many songs and the industry just isn’t doing the singles with b-sides thing anymore. She is much more in her element when performing live where she is truly free.

Djam Karet - Recollection Harvest - Another brilliant album from one of my only favorite American prog rock bands. They are all instrumental, so there are no words to absorb, just soundscapes. Some of them are more rocking, whereas others are more acoustic or ambient in nature. This band always tries to explore the hour that their CD releases stretch. I first found out about after hearing them on a compilation of musical interpretations of Salvador Dali’ paintings.

Rush - R-30 - Do live albums count? Only if they’re from Rush and only if the other performers on this list all huddle together and cower in fear of this mighty (old) roar that comes down from the Great White North and blows us all away. I only hope I can still rock like that when I’m in my 50's.

About New Year's Resolutions...

A friend once asked me what I was going to give up for New Year’s. I told her hope. For the most part, I have never felt the need to give up anything for New Year’s. Perhaps, however, there are things that I don’t do now that I should. Instead of taking something away, maybe I should add something. It just seems more positive that way to me. This year, I think I want to become more outgoing. I also think I should drink more. Hey, maybe these two could work together.

One thing is for sure:

There's (an) old man on a warm and sunny island.
No job, no money, just a smile to call his own.
Know what he says? "The past will only haunt you.
Live for today. Each day's an open door."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home