Bubala, Mumi & Max

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Friends... How Many Of Us Have Them?

***WARNING! Self Pity Party Ahead!***

Friendship

I have a good life. I really can't (and don't) complain about most things.

I have a wonderful (and hot!) husband.
I have a fantastic, bratty little dog.
I have a caring and understanding family.
I have a job that I still enjoy going to even after working there for seven years.
I have a house, two cars and an iPod.

What more could I possibly want?

Well, a close friend* or two would be nice.

You see, I have never been all that great at meeting new people and making new friends. I'm not sure why. I think that it has something to do with my own insecurities. I think that I must be emanating some sort of negative vibe that other people can sense, maybe not even consciously, that turns them off to long-term friendship. I meet new people and I think that we hit it off, but then I never hear from them again. Or, worse yet, I try to introduce myself to new people only to get snubbed and ignored by them. I brush my teeth and shower and wear deodorant, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

It would be nice to have a friend who I could just call on the telephone and say, "Hey, what are you doing today? Nothing? Well then, let's go to Six Flags and ride some roller coasters. Or, better yet, let's take a road trip to New Jersey!"

Or, a friend who would call me sometimes just to see how I'm doing. Just to shoot the breeze. A bud to hang out with while Mumi is working. A pal to pal around with. That would be nice. I have had friends like that in the past, so I know that it's possible. (Unfortunately though, they were all girls! Yucky, yucky girls with their mammaries and vaginas. Gross!)

*In all fairness, I am not completely friendless. I do have a few really great friends that I keep in touch with on a very regular basis. I guess that I'm just greedy, and I want more, more, more. And, of course, I'll always have my best friend, Mumi and my second best friend, Max. They're better than the bestest friends I could ever wish for!

***Self Pity Party Over! It's safe to look now.***

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

You're not alone in that department :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Dumbek said...

It's more common than you think. Especially for those of us who live in the burbs and aren't surrounded by so many like-minded folks.

Blowoff tonight?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Write me if you ever want to get together and have drink or something. I always like meeting new people...other than in this weird cyberworld we live in nowadays. I dont like rollercoasters though...bleh.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Daddy Cool said...

It's tough sometimes. Parenting can be isolating in that regard too. It's a huge culture shock.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home