Bubala, Mumi & Max

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I Got Crabs!

No, not from that super hot, sexy, hairy trick in Rehoboth Beach this weekend.

I'm talking about this kind of crabs:

Crabs!

I went crabbing with a friend on his boat on the Wye River yesterday. It was a lot of fun. A lot of work too though. We used crab traps. The kind you drop in the water, let it sit and then come back in a bit and pull up the trap and see if you have captured any little crabbies. We had 30 traps out in the water all in a line.

Since there was no way I was going to try to drive the boat (scenes from On Golden Pond were flashing through my mind), it was my job to pull up the traps. All 30 of them. While the boat was moving along. Over and over and over again. Every time we'd get to the end of the line of traps, we'd go back to the beginning and start it all over again. I got quite a workout, and today I have muscle aches in places where I didn't even know I had muscles.

We ended up catching a little over a half bushel of crabs. Not the best haul ever from the Wye River, but not bad for a few hours work either. I even managed to catch a terrapin in one of the traps one time. That was pretty cool!

Hi Mr. Terrapin!

We took our haul home and steamed 'em up, poured on the Old Bay seasoning and started cracking. I have to admit that crabs are not my favorite food though. Not because I don't like the taste. They're delicious. I just can't stand all that work. You really have to dig to get the meat out of the darn things. I usually feel like it's a whole lot of effort for not too much reward.

Oh well, it was a fun day nonetheless.

Buddy the dog likes crabs too!
Buddy trying to steal my crab.

This picture of Mumi has nothing at all to do with the crab story above.
I just think he's hot!
Hot!

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Ummm, Mumi is hot, and thanks for sharing him :P Haven't been crabbing in years! It's loads of fun. By the way, just found out I'm an otter too. I'm very depressed. Maybe we should rent a bunch of sappy movies and pig out on donuts together. By winter we should at least be cubs LOL

10:56 AM  
Blogger Dumbek said...

mmmm....Old Bay.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the terrapin was OK. They can drown in those crab pots.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home